The Sphinxes of the Carnaval...(2)
were dominos !The Sphinxes' notes were musical letters. In Germany "S" means flat, but it can be heard "Es" = E + s = E flat.
The first Sphinx is made of Schumann's musical letters.
The other two were based on Asch, the town where Ernestine von Fricken, Schumann's first bride, was born
|Besides the fact that one of the few pieces orchestrated by Ravel was this Carnaval, one must emphasize that Schumann's gesture is very similar to Ravel's one :
- the transcription is used less to sign the work than to dedicate it to someone,
- the permutation is used (Valse noble),
- the pattern can be hidden in inner voices (Pierrot),
- it is often in the beginning but not always (Réplique),
- some occurencies are hidden by enharmonic writing (H written C flat in the Préambule).